In October 2008, First United Church Nursery School celebrated its 50th Anniversary!
A little history:
In October 1958, 15 families who were all members of First Presbyterian Church founded the First Presbyterian Parent Cooperative with the blessing and support of their pastor. A teacher was hired and parents took turns assisting in the classroom of 15 children. By the second year the name was changed to First Presbyterian Church Nursery School and the classroom was staffed with a teacher and an assistant. Within a few years, the solid rock principles and goals of the school were chiseled by school director Pat Lane and the Church committee who took on the responsibility of oversight.
Pat Lane led the School for 16 years with distinction and grace, nurturing both children and parents. We are saddened that she didn’t live to celebrate this anniversary with us.
When the merger of First Presbyterian and First Congregational Churches occurred in 1975, the Nursery School was embraced as a part of the joint mission and the name was again changed, this time to First United Church Nursery School. In 1977, Joan White became the Director and the school moved to its current building and grew over time from 3 classrooms to 12. Young Sprout Day Camp was started in the summer of 1978, and in 1987 the Nursery School achieved NAEYC accreditation.
We have now achieved the ripe old age of 50 and are poised to embrace a bright future! We are More Than Just a School. We are a community of learners – children, parents and teachers.
First United has been and will continue to be:
- A joyful place for children to play, learn and grow.
- A place for parents to find community, friendships, support and engagement.
- A place where teachers share their professional expertise and guide young children as joint partners in discovery and learning.
- A place for board members to give leadership and direction.
Here’s to the next 50 years!